Report From America’s Popular Culture
Fashion Week has just ended in New York City and begins today in London. This is the event which determines what’s “in” and what’s “out” for the season. If you missed it, there are plenty of photos in the celebrity press because as usual the Hollywood A list was in attendance.
A hot topic was First Lady Michelle Obama who disappointed the industry by wearing a dress made by a foreign designer. Oscar de la Renta and Diane von Furstenberg considered it a major mistake. Mrs. Obama also wore the same dress to the Kennedy Center Honors which she had worn on a foreign trip. This is obviously a complete disgrace for the United States.
We are thinking of the fashion industry and celebrities now that Newsweek and Time are fighting for survival. They both made the mistake of covering current events. They write about boring subjects such as the Middle East, health care, terrorism and the deficit. Who cares! Politicians will always be complaining about something.
The magazines which are thriving are Us and InStyle because you can learn so much from them. For example, the first rule in the Fashion Week and celebrity handbook is to be photographed by the paparazzi wearing a ridiculously overpriced outfit.
The second rule is to immediately discard these clothes because if you are part of the in-crowd you can not be seen in them again. If you wear an outfit a second time the magazines and celebrity press will trash you.
Our friends list is restricted to members of high society who would never make a fashion faux pas, but these observations might be of interest to their servants:
- According to Perez Hilton, “Why do women do this? They know people will notice. Yes, Anna Wintour of Vogue has worn the same thing twice, but the stigma still remains.”
- Oscar de la Renta says “If you are going to wear the same outfit more than once, it definitely can not be done during a short space of time. “
- Alexander McQueen: “If you wear an outfit the second time, you must never repeat the entire look.”
- When this does happen the explanation is often that the celebrity was traveling and did not have access to their regular wardrobe.
- Donna Karan says: “There is nothing special in wearing a dress twice.”
- Why can’t these women listen to Jennifer Lopez? The actress told Glamour she has never worn anything twice, and that is also true of her children.
- Paris Hilton is also unable to wear a dress a second time. Instead, “I donate them to charities so they auction them off.” For those dresses that are special, she keeps them in storage for her daughter. Of course, she still doesn’t have a daughter.
The Hall of Shame
- Paris was able to survive a sex tape scandal but not the shame of wearing the same dress as Gwyneth Paltrow to a post Oscars party. Then it happened again. Paris and Rihanna both wore the same dress to the same nightclub.
- According to InStyle, Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice) wore the same dress to a Los Angeles restaurant, an art opening a month later and six months after that it appeared at the Vanity Fair party. The paparazzi did not approve.
- Despite the criticism she continues to violate fashion rules. Once again, according to Perez Hilton, “Well, on Wednesday, Vicky B. was spotted arriving at London’s Heathrow Airport after having spent some time with her hot hubby, David Beckham. Posh was wearing the SAME shit she wore back in November of last year. Except this time she didn’t have her matching purse. But she did wear the same watch and glasses as well! What in the world?!?!”
- Reality TV star Heidi Montag has worn the same Stella McCartney jumpsuit three times. To make matters worse, she wore the same dress and boots by Chloe twice in a month.
What are the consequences?
The most popular celebrities have an exercise addiction and want to look wafer-thin. The look the magazines praise can best be described as skeleton-chic. Victoria Beckham certainly qualifies and does not have an ounce of fat. However, she is the mother of three boys and will be 37 in six weeks. They are now blowing up photos of her body parts to demonstrate she has “wrinkly knees.”
Paris and Rihanna both wore the same dress to the same nightclub. The humiliation must have been awful.